Monday, October 25, 2010
Firehouse Museum
Wylie and I took an expedition to the Los Angeles Fire Department Museum this weekend. Wylie nicely reminded me first thing Saturday morning that it was indeed open on Saturday and we should go visit. I'm glad he reminded me.
Very comprehensive, very kid friendly, and well there is no polite way to say this but it's run by some very old men. VERY OLD. I'm talking not one of them didn't have a walker! But it was FANTASTIC. One guy walked with us throughout the main floor showing Wylie all the different parts of the engines (one is an original horse drawn ladder truck), how the old sirens worked and let him try it! We saw the dormitories upstairs with uniforms dating from 1850s in each locker. We saw but didn't test the Stop, Drop, Roll Mat they use for school field trips.
We checked out the gift shop and bought a toy ladder truck and a present for Uncle Joe.
When we left, the engine company next door was doing a drill with some new recruits. They were practicing hooking the hose up to a hydrant, opening the hydrant, flushing it and some other things. With no one else around but us, Wylie and I stopped to watch. The next thing I knew Wylie was being ushered in to be part of the drill. He got to try the hydrant wrench, hold the hose, open the nozzle (no water in it), and then read all the gauges. He kept telling everyone his Uncle Joe was a fire guy.
All I can say is for the hour we were there, Wylie learned a ton, I learned a ton, we had fun, we had giggles and everyone was really nice.
Here are the snaps from the adventure:
A 1957 Cadillac Ambulance
Our guide used to drive one of these.
He also pointed out in Los Angeles all paramedics and EMT1's are also firefighters.
A haz-mat suit. I have to admit that if I was kid and one of these came at me during a fire or any other time I would be incredibly scared.
The guide explained to Wylie if he ever saw one of these guys during a fire he was to go with him no questions asked.
In front of the memorial to firefighters in Los Angeles and everywhere. Wylie really liked it and was practicing his hose pointing and holding.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Looks like a fantastic time! I am super jealous!
It's one of those things that make being the mama to a boy wonderful.
Post a Comment