Wednesday, July 21, 2010

In Memorium

Dr. Edward G. Bowen aka "Bozo" died July 20, 2010. His obituary can be found here. I met him via the telephone in 1992 through his daughter and my friend Louisa. I had just been diagnosed with cervical cancer and he pretty much talked me through it. Later when I mentioned my concern about not being able to have a child he told me stories of women who had babies when even he thought it couldn't be done. He was an OB/GYN of quality, cared for his patients and treated people with compassion. When Wyatt and I were first dating we went to the christening of Louisa's son Cooper. Dr. Bowen made a point of giving me his insight to Wyatt. Something to the affect of "you should marry that boy." When I was planning my wedding, Mary Martin called to offer Dr. Bowen's services in walking me down the aisle. Dr. Bowen and Mary Martin were in California for one of their many art excursions after Wylie was born and we went to introduce Wylie. Dr. Bowen took one look and proclaimed him to be a "good eater" and "very alert." He also pointed out to me when Wylie hosed me down after nursing that he was a "REALLY GOOD EATER" and a "Typical Boy." I don't have my parents anymore but it felt to me that I was getting the seal of approval on being a mom. It felt wonderful. He also made sure that Wylie knew that Dr. Bowen was Bozo and Mary Martin was Granny. I'm going to miss Dr. Bowen.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Eli.