Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Birth Story

Gwen was asking me about my birth story and if I had shared it with anyone. My response to her was Wyatt tells this story well and Heidi is my proof that what I say about my contractions is true. I've talked about this with my friends and we've shared our experiences especially as Melissa gets ready to welcome her second into the world. We are all waiting to hear her birth story. So, here is my "birth" story in question format. I was asked these questions by a participant on a list serve I participate on. How many children do you have? 1--Wylie Francis 8lbs.10oz What was a memorable moment in your pregnancy? I was on a conference call at work when the baby (Wylie) kicked me so hard that I started coughing uncontrollably. He then kicked again and literally hit my desk. It was odd blaming a coughing fit on an unborn child! Where did you give birth? UCLA Westwood Medical Center --Teaching Hospital Did you go when your body and baby said it was time or were you induced? I went in when my body was saying it was time but my little one was not ready. Went in at 42.5 weeks while 6cm dilated and 100% effaced. If you were induced was it because of medical reasons OR for convenience reasons (i.e. wanted a planned event, trying to keep baby's size smaller, didn't want to go overdue)? I was put on pitocin drip after almost 8 hours of contractions that I was not feeling (NOT KIDDING) that were productive but not getting my little one to engage. This wasn't a matter of convenience to me or my OB. Did you have a regular birth or a C-section? I had a C-section and hold issue with the question as I get asked this on a regular basis. I had a regular/natural birth. It just happened to be via c-section. If you didn't use pain meds, how did you deal with the pain? I didn't use pain meds for the first 15 hours. Mostly because I didn't feel my contractions (7% of women in world have a "silent" birth without pain from contractions). We did however use some rocking, walking, back massage, chanting (Go go go go go go...stop, stop, stop,stop) when the contractions started getting INCREDIBLY PRODUCTIVE and my body started pushing the baby. Did you have an Epidural? Yes. After I couldn't begin to catch my breath between the contractions that pretty much didn't stop. A side note the epidural DID NOT stall my progress, in fact it did just the opposite it helped me become fully ready. It was at most 45 minutes from epidural delivery to fully pushing. I was a tad bummed that I hadn't made it through the final 45 minutes but breathing was becoming an issue. Did you use a midwife, doula, Dr, or other? Midwife and OB. Teaching hospital so also had a resident and students. Did you use alternative birthing methods (i.e. a birthing stool, a sling, waterbirth?) No. We did take the Bradley Method classes to prep for it. Who attended the birth? Wyatt, Midwife, OB, two anethesiologists, eight pediatric interns, pediatrician, two ob/gyn residents, three nurse practitioners. It was a little crowded in the OR! What was the projected size of your baby via U/S? Actual size? We didn't have a projected size. Midwife said he was good size. He ended up 8lbs.10oz. I would say a good size! How many hours of active labor? This is tough because in general I didn't feel anything until I was 8.5cm dilated. However, I walked into the hospital at 9am and had the c-section at 9am the next day. So 24 hours of active labor. Dealt with contractions (that I could feel) for about 6 hours, pushed for 4.5 hours, had c-section. That being said based on the contraction monitor I was having productive contractions about 12 minutes apart two weeks prior to my delivery. When I went in for delivery I was having massive contractions that lasted about 1.5 minutes coming every two minutes. I just didn't feel them until almost the end when they were lasting for 2 minutes with maybe 10 seconds in between. Are you pleased with your birth experience? Why or why not? I am pleased. I caveat this with the END DOES JUSTIFY THE MEANS in this case. Mostly because at the end of the experience I had the greatest gift in my arms. My son. He was healthy, beautiful, and nursing. Couldn't ask for anything better. Do you wish it hadn't ended in a C-section? YES. I wasn't prepared for it. I was convinced I wouldn't have a c-section. I was healthy, in shape, armed with great ideas to manage the contractions and mentally was ready for anything. I just wasn't going to have a c-section. Did I have a choice about the C-section? NO. It had been far too long since my water broke, Wylie was going into distress and he was "transverse" which meant every time I pushed he turned and got stressed out. He was sleeping on his side (a position in which he still likes to sleep) and when they turned him externally during delivery as soon as he could he would flip. What was a memorable moment before your child was born but while you were in labor? There are two things I will never forget about the birth of Wylie prior to his appearence in our lives: 1. Heidi came to visit me in the hospital. She made Wyatt take my picture with a smile on my face while she watched the contraction monitor. She didn't believe that I couldn't feel the contractions until she watched the monitor. Heidi also was just a really groovy friend to have there. 2. Wylie's grandmother to be Nanny P had driven to the hospital with me and stayed until Wyatt showed up. She then took a tour of Los Angeles with Wyatt's classmate Brian on the way home. We got calls every fifteen minutes or so asking for additional directions to the house from another random place in the city. We had sent Nanny P who had been in Los Angeles for less than 24 hours home with someone who had borrowed a car and not driven in Los Angeles for more than 24 hours! So that is my birth story. A long time in the works but now it is on the page and saved for posterity sake. Share your story.

1 comment:

MONSTER said...

I loved reading your birth story! I should put mine on my blog sometime...