Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Running 101-Hills

Hill Running is something that is good for everyone who runs. Everyone no matter what pace you run, no matter if you run/walk or walk/run. It's good for you.

Tuesday is our slow day or long run day. I mentioned that I had a new goal for my running which was to do an 8K on my birthday to my coach. She pointed out my goal shouldn't be to complete the distance but to run it at a good pace and finish happy. She totally thinks I can do it. My birthday is in less than two weeks!

So back to the workout.
1. We warmed up as usual for about 10 minutes before heading out to our hill from the store.
2. The distance from store to hill is about 2/3rds mile and we jogged there to warm up.
3. We then viewed our goals for this hill on Freds Oak Road. Initially we were in two groups based purely on pace and ability but eventually broke into our own groups and everyone rocked the hill.
4. The full hill distance was just under 1/2 mile. We broke it into three parts however that does not mean running 1/3 at a time NO that would be too easy!
5. We were to focus on form: Strong arms propelling forward and jabbing backward with slight body tilt--NOT BENT OVER-- and landing on the balls of our feet. We were to go up at pace but push it slightly to the top then turn and jog slowly back down to recover. Once at the bottom of the hill we were to repeat immediately.
6.First hill assault was the first 1/3 of the hill and the steepest portion by far about 1/10th of a mile up. Second hill assault was the first 1/3 plus and additional middle 1/3 which was slightly less inclined but still a hill. Third and final hill assault was the entire hill.
7. We then jogged back to the store.

One note that is me bragging a bit. Only the first group was supposed to do the entire hill while the second group was to stick with just the first and middle hill workout. I was not initially in the first group. Upon my completion of the second repeat of the middle hill Kelly broke the news to me that I was keeping up with the first group too well and it was my time to join them and do the whole hill. I'm glad she did that as I needed the boost both from an ego stand point and from the "I can do it" standpoint!

Not too sore today but I've already foam rolled my legs!

No comments: