Monday, April 16, 2012

Bicycle Skirt


I bought the pattern for the Bicycle skirt last year in the autumn with every intention of making it out of a nice heavy cotton from Anna Marie Horner or Moda or even a Liberty print. I shared a copy of the pattern with Gwen in the hopes the two of us could make the skirt in our separate  places and see if we ended up with the same thing. 
Obviously I never got around to actually making mine last year! I kept reviewing the skirt pattern as it was on my Kindle and the desire to make the skirt was bugging me. Finally spring had sprung a few weeks ago and the weather was warm in the upper 70s consistently which makes me want to wear skirts and light dresses. 

Wylie and I headed out to G-Street Fabrics in Falls Church one afternoon when he had a half day from school. The green linen just grabbed my eye initially and then Wylie picked out the contrast Moda twigs for the waist band. He had fun looking at all the fabric and coming up with grand ideas of things we could make with it. 

One note about G-Street Fabrics. It is a) no longer on G-Street in Washington DC which is where it was for ages even when I was a kid and the mecca for all fabric shops, b) the selection of designer print fabrics such as Anna Marie Horner, Moda, and other individual designer prints is limited at best so online and small shops are still the best source, and c) I had forgotten how fantastic their notion and button area is to wander!

Some comments on the skirt...
I measured based on pattern measurements. I made an extra large. I could have gotten away with a large or medium. The recommended wrap is 9 inches. I have about 16 inches which means minor modifications which ultimately I like. I pulled the underneath tie over at the side and then threaded through the belt loops. The tie you see is essentially one loop from the threaded tie and the length of the non threaded one. 
I also did not use felt for the bicycle on the pocket which makes it a bicycle skirt. I hand embroidered it using a basic chain stitch. Just easier on the linen. 

It took a total of four days to do this. 
1. Cut the pattern and the fabric
2. Sew main panels and trim hem
3. Sew waistband and belt loops and connect to main skirt.
4. Embroider and sew pocket on.

Embroidered bicycle


Bicycle skirt!


Wore this with pride yesterday. With a white shirt not the orange one!

No comments: