Tuesday, April 07, 2009
This I believe...
I really like the NPR project "This I Believe" because it truly does allow in a non-confrontational, non-judgemental, non-bs manner for people to state their beliefs. Many of the pieces are written and read by well known authors, poets, etc; however there are many written by the average person indicating what they belive. I've been thinking a lot lately and know that there are things I cannot say here and anywhwere else because while they are what I believe they are offensive to some, revealing to others, and in general not something I would say where anyone can find me.
There is something I do believe. Something I have stated many times and isn't dangerous or revealing or damaging to me or anyone else. So after a long introduction...
This I Believe...
I believe that Hallmark has ruined the romance, excitement, anticipation and family experience of almost all holidays. I believe that celebrating Hallmark holidays teaches consumerism, one-up man ship, that money thrown at an event is better than thought, and that from a young age every Hallmark holiday should come with a present.
I practice the art of avoiding Hallmark holidays. It was a goal when selecting a pre-school to find one that did not turn Valentine's Day into a mass candy and goofy card event where all children had to give a gift/card to everyone...even the kid that bites or hits or obviously doesn't like my child. I also wanted to avoid Halloween, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas from a crazy have to have a party, cards, gifts, and big event. I believe people will think I am depriving Wylie.
I believe that Valentine's Day sets up unreasonable expectations for young women and unreasonable pressure on young men to spend and purchase for the women.
Halloween is no longer about just putting on a costume made by a parent or inventive idea by the child then going door to door in your immediate neighborhood saying Trick or Treat with a bit of discussion by the neighbors. Hell, this is when a good portion of the US meets their neighbors for the first time and then never talk to them again. Parents across the US tried to LOBBY FOR CHANGING HALLOWEEN TO A SATURDAY so their kids could get the best time.
Don't even get me started on Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparent's Day, Administrative Support Day (previously Secretary's Day), Thanksgiving Day, and the biggie Christmas.
So in closing...This I believe that Hallmark holidays cheapen, homogenize and ruins the intimacy of holidays.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yeah, these holidays are for amateurs. And most are a total anticlimax. Sometimes the only good thing about them is that you DON'T HAVE TO WORK!!!!!
Post a Comment