Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Breastfeeding

I just love it when there is positive news on breastfeeding linked to health. This article indicates that breastfeeding for just 12 months or longer is actually linked to slightly better heart health. I'm curious though if women who breastfeed for an extended period tend to be more focused on health than those that are not able to breastfeed for an extended period. My hypothesis is that those women who are unable to breastfeed for an extended period are a) busier and have less time to really focus on balanced diet, exercise, and lower stress lifestyle b) lower socio-economic status which brings lower health ratings in general c) in general lower health quality to begin with. This is not to say that women that breastfeed for an extended period of time are a) easy going, able to breastfeed with ease and without stress b) eat healthy all the darn time and have a chef and personal trainer c) are rich. I'd really like to see a current study truly tracking the clinical changes and benefits of breastfeeding. Unfortunately, most OBs and Peds are recommending breastfeeding which means it would be doing a study with a group of babies and the moms only identifying the non-breastfeeeding moms when they stop. Just some thoughts for the day Additionally, I have very good friends who are very amazing moms who have breastfed for an extended amount of time ranging from 15 to 30 months as well as have friends who tried and tried and tried having to stop at 4 weeks to 10 weeks for various reasons. I would say in both groups they are similar in food choices, exercise choices and socio-economic status.

No comments: