Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Some quotes from a day off...

Quote One: "I realize how positive wholesomeness feels" This is in relation to being solidly grounded in what you like to do. I was reading about a non-Mary Kay personality person who decided to give the Mary Kay idea a try. She pointed out some changes that just felt good. Ones that amazingly are totally feminine and feminist in ideal. It was then I realized...I may not be really good at sewing yet, but I like the things I make. I may not be the fastest runner but I do really try hard and feel better when I run. Finally even if it made me really tired and a bit behind on other projects, going to Tucson to see Kate just for the day was worth every moment. It made me feel good and energized to get other work done. Quote Two: "At some point the housemem moves from gourmet chef to an entree short order cook, but the true gourmand turns simple meals for children into tasty delights" I'm currently reading My Life in Food by Judith Jones. She covers her life as it relates to food from childhood in NYC to editor at Knopf Publishing. This is the editor responsible for bringing Julia Child to the american kitchen. Her life in Paris, cooking disasters, and eventual understanding that people cook differently at different points in their lives. It is from reading this book that I realized that I cook with the desire to make different and exciting meals but tend to rely on the standbys. My way of becoming more interesting in food choices is to continually try new foods, fruits and veg. In doing so, I learn new cooking techniques and new spice variations. I still focus on quicker meals on the weekdays and longer on the weekends (when I have more time) but for the most part, the grand epcicurean meals of pre-parenthood are on hold until Wylie is older and I can spend more time in the kitchen. However when I serve him rather ordinary food with a bit of flair, he makes me feel like I've just served a roast with the little hats on it.

No comments: