Our family is split right now some days we are Obama, some days we are McCain, some days we seriously consider moving to another country.
I was concerned about who Obama would select. Hillary would have been nice but not necessarily the right choice. Biden is good, not perfect but good. He has the background, experience, and balance that Obama needs. The Clintons did their media best to rally support for Obama and I think it worked.
I thought McCain would chose someone a bit more liberal to win over the Clintonites who can't vote for Obama. He talked big about selecting someone he's familiar and friendly with, someone who balances his views, someone who will reassure the voting public about his age. He MISSED THE MARK. A woman would have been great if it was anyone but Palin. I hope he has some amazing scheme in mind that will justify the selection. There a many experienced women senators and congresswomen that would have been a better selection.
Here is why I take issue with Palin: IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HER GENDER. It has everything to do with the fact that all McCain and the republicans to this point have campaigned on is Obama's lack of experience. How do they explain Palin? She's had a tad more experience than the block captain of our neighborhood watch. She is utterly unqualified to lead the country if something were to force her into the position.
Her is my theory:
1. No one supposedly cares about the running mate. VP's aren't there to do anything but look nice and sound like they care. Several democrats have challenged that and made something of themselves. Al Gore for one. McCain figured her to be a puppet, get the soccer moms excited, appease the uber-christian pro-lifers.
2. Pick a running mate that compliments you. Offers what you may lack. In this case Biden offers long term experience and foreign experience. Rounds out Obama. In this case Palin offers youth, inexperience and opposite gender. Doesn't round out McCain from a political point of view.
3. We all know that some idiot out there is going to make an attempt on Obama should he win the election. I'd be okay with Biden in office.
4. We don't know but can assume that McCain will have health issues. We know he's had skin cancer and other issues. No, he's not as decrepit as Cheney but he's not young either. I would not be okay with Palin.
I do hope that Palin suprises me with something great. I honestly feel it's a setback for women. Hillary can run again in 4 years and most likely win.
No comments:
Post a Comment