Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What's Your Weekly Milage?

So in Japan in the early 90s there was a marketing campaign suggesting that humans should walk 10K steps daily for health. It came to America where we are woefully below 10K. I believe it was somewhere around 3K which isn't much. The pedometer became the big new gadget for people trying to get healthy, lose weight and get with...Adult Happy Meals at McDonalds. Anyone remember that? It wasn't so long ago, maybe 2004 or later. I had one and thought it was cool until I realized that if I just jiggled in place it added steps. So I ditched the pedometer, and just kept to marking my milage. It was easier to note how many miles I had clocked at the end of the week than actually trying to keep up with how many steps and thinking is it the right number based on the jiggle test etc. I then looked back to my journals from running and realize I had kept up with milage numbers and time. That was how I tracked my fitness. I decided it's time to do that again. Looking Back... 1998-2001 Average milage per week was 45 miles running and 10-15 miles biking 2002-2004 Average milage per week was 18 miles running 2004-2006 Average milage per week was 18 miles running Current... March 2008 -July 2008 Average milage per week is 22 miles biking I've just started running/walking 4 miles four times a week. It's not about time, just effort and doing it. So what's your milage? It doesn't involve a car.

No comments: