Wednesday, July 09, 2008

ANGRY!!! Part 1

I'm so angry right now I could spit. I'm not comfortable going to the dentist it's not something I have ever done without serious anxiety. In the beginning of April I went to a dentist that was in network for my insurance because I had a crown that had come loose. (It was 19 years old which is VERY old for a crown). I knew I needed a cleaning and some other work but my primary concern was the crown as it was on a molar. I also explain I am a working mother with an infant and a job that I can't be missing tons of mornings or afternoons for appointments so I would prefer to be in "the chair" for a few hours and get more work done at once rather than piecemeal. Long story short, I get a root canal, no temporary crown on molar of concern or the tooth in which the root canal was done, and a cleaning that was supposedly a deep cleaning at the WILSHIRE DENTAL CENTER (SCAM ARTISTS CENTRAL). I make a follow up appointment feeling that my needs were not understood, met or listened to but needed follow up on the root canal. That appointment was then cancelled on me because the receptionist screwed up! So I decided I needed to find a different dentist. I was referred by a colleague to a new dentist who is amazing. She is out of network which means I pay more but she's good and honest. So on my first visit to new dentist I explain concerns, needs, and give her the x-rays from previous dentist. She doesn't trash the other dentist but explains how she works and what is different. Essentially without being un-professional she points out where previous dentist screwed up, didn't do decent work, didn't clean my teeth and essentially screwed me over. I get new dental plan and leave the office with appointment made with dentist next to me for a serious cleaning and work on the ORIGINAL tooth of concern. That appointment was good. Got the work done, referred to a periodontist who did amazing work and I go back on Friday to get the final work done. Here is why I am angry. I paid first dentist OVER $300 bucks as that was what they identified as patient responsibility due to insurance. I then got insurance statement which pointed out my responsibility was $65 total. Somewhere someone made a mistake or totally committed insurance fraud. My bet is the dentist. I have currently double checked with insurance as to the amount dentist could charge me for the entire work they did. Insurance confirmed they could not charge me more than the $65. It is recommended I appeal to the insurance company about the dentist. I call the dentist office to get full listing of work done, work billed to insurance and patient payment/responsibility. Find out they billed my insurance for a consultation that never took place. I get a really crappy billing statement that identifies in line items what I paid but doesn't identify it in a total anywhere. Worst part of this situation is that I used my flexible spending account to pay for it. I now have to get them involved. SOOOOO ANGRY RIGHT NOW.

No comments: