Friday, August 17, 2012

Thursday FartleksWorkout

Quit Laughing!

Fartleks=Speedplay. It's a Swedish word. Okay go ahead and laugh. Wylie did because all he did was focus on the FART part of it, until I explained exactly what it meant in running terms and then he wanted to do one.

As if Tuesday wasn't tough enough, Coach Kelly decided to really give us a workout last night with a fartlek workout. She has definitely upped her workout expectations for the group from when we started in March pushing us with our warm-ups which used to be walks to the start points and are now runs to the start, pushing some of us from the easy group into the faster or harder group without the option of backing down --read that as I am being pushed HARD--, and ultimately we do core work at the end of each workout.

Wylie had asked to go to raft night on Thursday so I had planned to not go to running on Thursday. Get that my brain was not geared to doing that run. However Wylie decided against it in a last minute pre-TKD for him so I changed into running clothes with the goal of going, and taking it at whatever speed necessary to get the job done.
SIDE NOTE: Wylie was awarded his final White Belt Tip--Kicks which means he was moved up to Gold Belt during his TKD class! GO WYLIE! He gave me a mini pep talk on the way to Nanny P's house saying if he could focus and do so well at TKD he KNEW I would have a great run. KEPT THAT IN MY HEAD FOR THE ENTIRE RUN.
SIDE NOTE TWO: I keep having to pee while running about 1.5 miles into a hard run. Hummmmmmm.

The workout.

Run 1/3rd mile from shop to Lake Barton at good pace.
Starting at path our group was expected to run the following fartleks.
30 second sprint--1 minute jog
45 second sprint-1:30 minute jog
60 second sprint--2 minute jog
REPEAT
Lake Barton is .8 mile distance. We finished on an uphill prior to the end of the 60 second sprint in which we were expected to turn around and go back the way we came. Upon the end of the 2 minute jog we were then to start the fartlek a third time with the 30 second sprint and then jog until we came to the top of the hill.

At that point we were to walk to the road and then jog back to the shop. At the shop we picked up our water, towels and keys and headed around to the back of the center to do our core exercises.

MY legs were lead when I went to bed last night. They were sore this morning, but somehow I feel energized. Not bad.

I wonder what my Saturday run will be like.

No comments: