Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Liverpool England in October

Spent the week of October 16-22 in Liverpool England at the University of Liverpool discussing many different aspects of international education. It was enlightening, exhausting, fun, and most of all rainy and cold. Then again it was northern England and I was surrounded by academics.
My colleague Brian and I spent the last evening there snapping some shots of Matthew Street for our colleague Matt who is a big Beatles fan. The other shots were just me being well, ME!

I wanted to share some snapshots taken from the trip with everyone.

I would swear there are many parts of Liverpool that look just like Baltimore, MD. This is just one example.
This is the Liverpool Museum. Quite a neat place.
 
The Three Graces
Royal Liver, Cunard and Port of Liverpool 
Again, I think these are also in downtown Baltimore


Lobster Pot Specials Sign
Spam Fritters and something that I first read as Downer meat but then realized it was Donner meat (kebab)
Some of the BEST fish and chips I've had ever came from here. No need for major advertising or signage

Every city seems to need a ferris wheel.

The Italian Club
Great coffee and service with warm cozy spots to sit
and escape the rain and the cold


Firefighter Memorial
This is on the University of Liverpool Campus

As if we needed further proof that all decent architectural design went haywire mid-century.
This is the Catholic Cathedral in Liverpool-also known as The Spaceship.
While technically not on campus it is surrounded by campus buildings

The beginning of Matthew Street, Liverpool England
otherwise known as Beatle Street

Brian and the proprieter of Lennon's Bar
Also obviously a place to get Pizza, Fried Chicken and Beer

Brian hanging at the Cavern Club's original entrance

Replicas of all the gold albums and singles

The World Famus Cavern Club where the Beatles became World Famous
Supposedly the CASBAH is where they first played.
YES the same as "Rock the Casbah" from the Clash.
Of course I couldn't find the Casbah club or bar in my free time.

There was a wall with photos of folks who played or premiered at the Cavern Club.
This one is for Wyatt who is a huge George Harrison fan.


Liverpool has an AMAZING international selection of restaurants.
No stuffy and boring and bland English food to be found. Trust me we looked for it!
This is the entrance to Bistro Pierre on a back alley in Liverpool.

French country pate that was fantastic.

University of Liverpool (from July)
Congratulating both Campus and Distance Graduates

White Feather and Peace poem from Julian Lennon

Another View of Liverpool that again I would SWEAR makes it seem like Baltimore

Cain's Local Ale and Bitter. I personally really like the Raisin.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Looks like a great trip! I miss traveling.