Tuesday, April 12, 2011

An update on a theory of mine...

So I had this theory that children get a taste for foods based on frequency and timing of the introduction to the foods. Here is where I think I am right... 1. Wylie only had plain whole fat yogurt for the first three years of his life. As a result he only really likes the non-sweet stuff and readily accepts yogurt over mayo based sauces/dips. He has friends who were only introduced to the sweet sugar infused bright color tubed stuff who won't touch plain but might try it and most definitely were led to believe the only way to eat yogurt is to have the colored stuff. 2. Because of allergies, Wylie never had a peanut or peanut butter or any nut for that matter prior to January 2011. Again as a result, we've tried cashew butter, almond butter and even offered full peanuts and almonds to him. He does.not.like.them. NOT ONE BIT. I think this is really because in his first few years of life he didn't gain a taste for them or really ever learn that this is childhood. So the kids who only eat peanut butter most likely were introduced early and now have the taste. Not a bad thing but I believe if not introduced it doesn't become the only food as well as when introduced it doesn't become the only food. 3. Wylie love most veggies and will try most veggies. This doesn't mean he won't make an awful gagging sound and face with some of them but he does try them. Oddly he really has a personal thing against white potatoes--this includes chips, mashed, and as part of other items. He does like fries though. He has friends who are never offered (or forced) to eat green veggies and were not offered them early on as a result those friends do not like them. 4. Wylie prefers whole grain bread. I like whole wheat and assumed he would too which he does. He doesn't know much about nor does he like white bread. I like that. So what do I believe it is about early introduction and experimentation. We got Wylie to try a bunch of stuff just by having him have a "no thank you bite" which he found introduced him to foods he never thought he would like. White chicken chili being one of those items. What he doesn't eat often and like much but will try again and again: Fish sticks/catfish nuggets Salmon or Tuna Eggs-he keeps trying these thinking they will get better but he's not keen on them. Any new fruit-no matter how weird it looks some are great some are not so great. But he is more than willing to try Any new veg-same as fruit Sandwich meat and steak and hamburger--keeps trying still doesn't really like it. I will continue to offer to him. He will continue to try.

No comments: