Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

I could wax poetic and say all the things I'm thankful for in a relatively tough 2009. I could go on and on about how I'm blessed with some of the best friends in the world, the best in-laws known on the planet, and the most amazing husband and son I could wish for in this lifetime. But I am honestly really thankful right now for a moment in time that I shared with Wylie on Wednesday and an entire day that I shared with friends today. Wednesday: Inspired first by my friend Gwen's blog and then by her note in the mail I decided the beach was too close to our place to not spend an early afternoon dismissal on it. While Wyatt stayed home to make not one but two different gravies for Thanksgiving dinner, Wylie and I went to the beach to make volcanos. We hit the beach about an hour before the sun set and left about ten minutes after the sun dipped into the ocean and the marine layer started to roll in. We made our volcano, found a pirate ship on the beach (it was about a 70 foot yacht beached), chased the waves, and then took a brief run chasing our shadows. That moment in time I will forever remember. It made me remember why I have a connection or need to be close to water and sand and the ever changing tide. Wylie was so happy and truly connected to the moment which completely grounded me in the moment. I don't want to miss these days with him. Today: We celebrated Thanksgiving with our friends John and Sarah, their two boys, and John's parents. Wyatt and I were responsible for cranberry sauce, gravy, and salad. We brought a pumpkin roll along too. We had pumpkin ice cream but I left it at home. Wylie and the boys played long and hard from about noon until dinner at 5pm and then until about 7pm when we headed home. No fights, no whining, no crying (until about 5:30pm), and most definitely no upset parents. It was a great day. Everyone did what they wanted/needed to do, sat down together, and ultimately enjoyed a great meal together. I'm thankful we have that kind of kismet in this world. On the way home Wyatt and I discussed our birthday present for Wylie and some of our Christmas plans. Nice day all around. I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: