Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A moment in time...

There are moments in time when I am pleasantly pleased with the way people are treating one another. There are moments in time when for no ulterior motive or reason a person will go out of their way to make a child happy. There are moments in time I could live in with Wylie and never be bored by his engagement in activity and learning. Yesterday was a tough day for Wylie. He's had almost and entire month of visitors and vacations due to visitors and me not being around due to travel. This was his first day without visitors and with me dropping him off at school. It didn't help that I was working from 6am to 10:30am at home while he watched Scooby Doo and Alladin. He didn't want me to leave school. He didn't want me to leave in general for fear I wouldn't come back. So I promised him that after school we would go to the train store to look at the trains. He still cried and was sad but he also had something to look forward to at the end of the day. We did go to the train store after school. The front window was being set up to display the Christmas Train Scenes. There were more Thomas trains on the playset than normal. It was a good day to be in the train store. We also went and looked at the "grown up" model trains. Wylie is really into turntables for trains right now. It's about how they work, how they move the trains, where the trains go from the turntable, and ultimately what would happen if one missed the track. As we were walking out of the store there was a turntable on display with five trains around it. One of the shop keepers showed Wylie how it worked. Moving the trains in and out of the sheds, onto and off the turntable, pointing out the different types of trains etc. He did this all the while answering Wylie's questions, asking Wylie questions, and knowing that we weren't in the market for the turntable. It truly was marvelous to watch and listen. The best part for me is that I was present and available to my child. I was not thinking "we have to go to the grocery store" "we have to be leaving in order to miss traffic" "I am really bored with this whole train thing" I was just holding and watching my child learn. What a fantastic moment in time. All for free. All because someone shared something they like a whole lot with us.

No comments: