Thursday, August 02, 2007

I 35W : Minneapolis

We were just in Minneapolis for graduation two weeks ago. At the time we lamented the confusion of the road structure in the city. In fact, Wyatt and Wylie took unplanned tours of St.Paul and Minneapolis as a result of construction on 35W. We crossed that bridge planned and unplanned at least 3 times a day. It wasn't until our last day we found Rt. 280 that helped us avoid the bridge. I was shocked and almost fearful (paranoid) when I heard last night that the same bridge we couldn't wait to be done with had collapsed. Reports are saying the mighty mississippi has taken back it's banks and may have caused the collapse. My heart goes out to the people of Minnesota as this is the bridge that is a life-line to the city. One of the universities owned by my company is based out of Minneapolis. The main office is close to the bridge. We think everyone is accounted for at this time. Hopefully that will not change as the day goes on. This gave me reason to stop and think last night: What would I do in that situation with Wylie in the car? I had 40 minutes in the car to think about it, and this was my plan: IF a bridge collapses and I somehow survive the impact into the water I would do the following: 1. Open Sunroof 2. Climb into back or reach to unhook Wylie from carseat 3. Allow Wylie to "float" up bouyed by the water 4. Grab Wylie and go up through the sunroof to escape What would you do? Do you have an escape plan or plan in general for a major accident?

2 comments:

Cold Spaghetti said...

Ahhh... you seem to have been bitten by the superhero bug. The one that wills you to think you could do impossible tasks, defy gravity, and avoid all complications in the event of an emergency. I got bit pretty hard when it was just Will.

Now, with two, I've sobered up a bit. And become terrified of bridges.

I take it that you haven't seen the Mythbusters? The one that shows how difficult (ie: impossible) it is to escape a sinking car? Be strong... it is terrifying.

Our device that gives me a false sense of safety: the punch used on the show. I hear that sales of these went up a billion fold after that episode aired.

Poists said...

Yes,
I think this is my I'm capable of saving my child no matter what plan.
It just hit me that I really didn't have a plan for emergencies.
Thinking of buying the book about surviving emergencies that was meant as a joke but actually useful.