If you had something you didn't have an answer to but really wanted to get an answer what would you do when you got it?
Think of it this way:
1. The doctoral student has been studying, researching and writing for 4 or more years on a single topic to identify, summarize and recommend what the topic/hypothesis means. They finally get there but it wasn't what they thought in the beginning as the journey has brought up more and more questions. Is it relief to complete the degree or realization that the degree just opened the door?
2. A person goes into the doctor's office with multiple symptoms but no real "issue" The doctor works with them to search for a resolution each time for each symptom and usually comes up with one that covers most but not all. Finally an answer for the entire set of symptoms is found. In most cases there is a "name" for the medical condition. Many might have a sigh of relief because they know what the answer is, but the next step is deciding what to do with the information.
3. An officer does his investigation and finds the criminal. Does he close the case and rest easy OR does he go the extra mile to find out why?
I'm curious because I did get an answer in an most unexpected manner from a completely unrelated inquiry. The answer explains much yet at the same time scares me completely.
I am feeling relief and fear.
I think I get how people feel (and subsequently get weird looks) when they get the diagnosis of "curable cancer" rather than a much more serious diagnosis.
Friday, April 26, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment