My first timed mile for the spring session came in just a few seconds faster than my best time last year!
On April 15, 2013
The bombing at the Boston Marathon shocked me to my core. Of all the things and at of all races, runners are the most non-judgmental people I know. The concept that after this event all running events will need increased security, increased awareness by the runners etc just pisses me off.
On April 21, 2013
Potomac River Running Company held a Boston Marathon Memorial Run around Burke Lake Park. It was to prove we can run without fear, we can celebrate being able to run or run/walk or even just walk while doing a good deed for someone else.
The local pop radio station set up tents, Saucony came by with shoes for everyone to test out on their run, a physical therapy group supplied water, bananas, and snacks for post run. All this on a Sunday morning when it was colder than expected and they really didn't have to.
I wasn't supposed to run but I went anyway with the hope the run wouldn't make my arm get funky and that I could make it around the lake (5 miles). Two of my running buddies were there with the plan to just do what they could, instead of leaving me behind when I realized I couldn't run, they walked at a great pace with me. Again proving that runners are really nice people.
After the run, I asked two ladies who did indeed run the Boston Marathon how they felt. One of them said she has never in her life been so happy to be "slow" because she had been diverted at the 25.2 mile mark due to the bomb blast. Her "slow" meant she finished in less than 3.5 hours.
I am happy I can walk, I am happy I can run on some days. I know there are many in Boston right now who would like to be able to consider walking but have a long road ahead of them.
I won't whine so much anymore.
![]() |
| Deb, Lisa, Me, Jill and Laura post run. |

No comments:
Post a Comment