Thursday, June 21, 2012

Running 102-Hills Take 2

This is a quick review of what running a hill workout is like for the second time. If you want to know what the drill was, check out Running 101 Hills here.

Tuesday started out beautiful with a nice breeze and the weather in the mid-70s but that was the tease for as the day went on the weather got down right sweaty. HOT, HUMID, TAKING A BATH IN THE SHADE SWEATY. It was also the same day that we were slated to do our hill workout.

Coach Kelly put me in the first group as I had tackled this hill previously thinking it was no problem and really this wasn't about speed it was about strength. I didn't mention my ears being completely clogged, my feet already sweating in my shoes, and that I was melting already. I tackled the hill.

Hill 1; it was easy. --Thoughts "AM I INSANE?"
Hill 2: getting tired but still easy--my heels are sore as if I'm getting blisters on the jog down--Thoughts "two down two to go"
Hill 3: halfway up at the stop sign (top of hill 1 and 2) I slow and start heel striking with the word "FUCK" coming out of my mouth. Lisa passes me and pushes me mentally the remainder of the way up the hill. --Thoughts "it is hot I'm exhausted and I don't think I'm going to survive"

Coach Kelly sends us back down with the choice of continuing or finishing. She ends her sentence with the up voice of it's hot, it's humid but if you want to push it try.

Hill 4: make it to the top of hill 1 and 2 without too much issue, start slowing at top of hill 3 and stop to walk. Lisa pushes me but then I decide "fuck this" i'm going to the top and push to the speed hump sign. ---Thoughts "I'm utterly crazy" Coach response "Eli you are nuts but wow"
Heels--bleeding through socks and onto shoes.

Showering totally sucked!

Oddly once it gets warm I want to go run that hill again and prove it I can do it. AGAIN

No comments: