Wednesday, February 01, 2006
Chicago and Hispanics
I was in Chicago for the day/night yesterday to conduct focus groups among prospective and recent homebuyers that were Spanish dominant Hispanics.
The focus groups were humbling for me to say the least. I remember how much I felt I just didn't know and couldn't possibly get to know about the home buying process and the entire mortgage application, closing etc. We were talking to people who were in the same boat I was but they had one more obstacle...language! The two sets of folks we talked to were incredibly helpful in helping my company understand what they needed to make the process less intimidating, less confusing and more "trusting" and "helpful" for them.
The team I worked with represented many of the south american countries and Mexico. Most of them came to the united states as teenagers and have found a way to represent their culture and help folks like me understand the hispanic culture and needs. It was odd to be the only non Spanish speaker in the room.
So what did I learn from this...how much I need to learn and understand and see. My whole pursuit of the multicultural/ethnic community and research was because I didn't know or understand the groups. Now I'm getting the opportunity to learn about them and assist many in their initial moves toward becoming homeowners.
Final thought on this matter...I'm bummed I didn't make it to Los Angeles for the groups tonight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Bien hecho! It sounds like a great project and very rewarding. You'll have to come to Peru to do field research. :-)
Post a Comment