Monday, May 06, 2013

Childhood in a Nutshell

So many articles on how children can't/don't play outside anymore. We have tried to encourage Wylie to play outside however he has few friends in the neighborhood that are his age and many of the kids are over scheduled with sports and after school activities to actually play outside.

Wylie did what I think childhood is all about on Saturday.

He played out in the front yard for a little on his own while I watched from the living room. He then came in asked to go across the street to play with friends. I watched him look both ways to cross with the cross walk, carry his light saber and pistol carefully and then jump into some serious imaginary play with his three friends. The "boy" as Wylie referred to him is 13, the "girl" is 11, B is 9 and Wylie is 6. It was wonderful to watch him and let him navigate this experience.

It was time to come in at 7:30 when everyone was going home to eat. He was out there for 3 hours.
He was happy and tired and hungry.
Mostly he was happy.

No comments: