I'm now going to call the second session of my running class, Running 102 as it's just easier.
First a bit about the class for this session. I thought it might be full of all the folks from the previous session and indeed there are several of us in this one to keep growing and building our running abilities, however there are many new people and 1 guy! We have several women who are more substantial runners just looking to build on their form and several who are just new to running. The tough part is I'm still smack dab in the middle with my time so I have folks running faster and ahead of me and folks running slower and behind me but for the most part no one totally in my pace range.
Tuesday was an easy run around Lake Barton just to get into the groove and for Coach Kelly to see where we all end up in our groups so she can put us together for drills etc.The distance around the lake is .8 miles but we run it once then continue for another 3 minutes out or so at a hard pace and return just so the folks who are faster can finish a second loop and the folks who are slower can finish their first loop. Essentially we all finish our run at the same time with just different distance.
I ran with Lisa, Rebecca, and Kathy which was both great and tough. Running with Lisa means I go out hard and fast with a push to a 9:30 to 10 minute mile pace that will slow down eventually to an 11 minute pace. Staying with Kathy helps me continue on for those additional hard push minutes at the end. We did the first loop in 9 minutes which put us on pace for a 10:30 mile. Some serious hard running for me. We continued on for another 3 minutes out and then turned around running hard. After the run we did our drills with the group using the walking techniques not the running techniques. It was nice to do them slowly. :)
Thursday was warm and muggy. I had used my gift card to the running store earlier in the day to purchase a new running skirt, socks and jog bra and was wearing all of them at class. I was also running a tad late to class so when I showed up for class it was exactly 6:30 which doesn't make me ease into class very well. At least I was well hydrated! We started with a lap around the shopping center warm up taking it easy I ran with Lisa which meant I pushed it hard. We then did our active warm up of jumping jacks, leg swings, squats, lunges, sweeps, and hop twists--must say I'm getting good at the hop twists.
Coach Kelly then broke the news it was TIMED MILE day. All I could think was "well as long as it's not slower than my initial 12:30 I'm okay." It was a much harder mental game for me this time AND having a watch on was equally as tough because I had knowledge of my previous timed mile, had an instrument to track me and mock me (or so it seems) when I started slowing down--YES THAT IS WHY I DON'T WEAR A WATCH--and ultimately my own desire to be better than I was. We headed out from Adare Drive to Paynes Church Road (1/2 mile point) turned around and returned to Adare Drive. I remember from our first timed mile it seemed like the distance was incredibly long. The second timed mile the distance to Paynes Church came sooner than I expected and I was impressed with my 1/2 mile split but still took a long time to get there.
So my third timed mile went as follows: We jogged the 1/4 mile from Burke Centre Parkway to Adare Drive, grouped up and and started our run. The tough part with that is I tend to spring out with the faster folks which is great for the first tenth of a mile and then just makes the rest of my run a race against myself and my mental game. So I hung back a bit but the second group started fast too and I went with them merrily along for the first tenth and then we spread out. Interestingly I started passing folks as I got my groove going and faster than I expected was at the turn around at 5:05! Interestingly the really fast folks had turned not too far in front of me and a few made a point of smiling and cheering me on. I must look horrid when I run! I took two short 30 second walk breaks on the way back but definitely slowed down to a more doable but steady pace. I finished at 11:10. So my second half took 6:05 which is those two 30 second walk breaks and means I was still running at the faster speed. Oddly I decided to do a speed drill after going fast for 1 minute, jogging for 1 minute, going hard for 1 minute, jogging for 30 seconds and finishing with a 1 minute hard run.
We finished the Thursday class with planks and stretches. I'm thirsty but not sore. Happy with the run but the mental competition is starting and that means I need to find another challenge where I am not comfortable so I have growth and no comparison.
Friday, May 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment